If your account has a following greater than 60, there’s no reason to be a sitting duck – run a twitter contest! Nothing encourages interaction like a little giveaway. Choose a prize that has moderate value – something you yourself might find useful, and set a goal like increasing followers or getting people to visit your new product online, then start your #giveaway!
Running a Contest: step-by-step
1. Determine schedule for the contest
- Schedule re-tweets of contest throughout the running-period
- Finalize draw date to include in messaging (Fridays are a great, people are likely to share)
- Obtain photos and event/product information to link to
- Notify staff of the contest and details, encourage them to share
2. Tweet call to action for contest
- Explain the goal of the contest. i.e. We want more pals, RT & Follow us on Facebook to enter our 25 Dollar Coupon Draw! or Write to us with feedback on your experience as a customer for a chance to win free kitty litter for life!
- Tweet out a message that gives something and gets something in return
- Use event or product related hashtag to hit more viewers, i.e. #meowmix #contest #giveaway
- Tweet contest directly to influencers and your major fans that are likely to retweet you
3. Develop script to e-mail to winners
- Plan of action for winners to claim-up their prize
- Consider where and who the winners are in relation to the company
- Include event/prize date, location, procedure, links, photos, etc..
4. Draw Winners
- Ensure they are a target client not a spammy-spambot
- Circulate winner names and handles to staff
- Announce winners at an appropriate time of day (lunch or 4-5pm are good times)
- Notify winners and invite them to DM their e-mail so that you can send them details on picking up their prize, and later you can them to your to e-contacts (if approved)
4. Follow-up afterwards to find out if they enjoyed their prize, and snag photos if it’s for an event that you attend!
The more special the prize is, the better the outcome – winners will remember you fondly for creating a wonderful moment in their lives. Even if your prize doesn’t hold a huge monetary value, going that extra mile will resonate!!